Summary : All you need to know about “Sharing” in SharePoint 2013, What is Sharing in SharePoint 2013,How does Sharing work in SharePoint 2013,What is SHARE and SHARE With
Sharing is great feature and you must have known or used it by now however this post is about all the hidden Caveats and what functionality you can achieve with this new Ad-on.
Firstly, Sharing is new in SharePoint 2013 On-premises yes “Just in On-premises!” it does exist in SharePoint 2010 Online (for a purpose of sharing a site with external users only).
Sharing has been Introduced for the Following purposes –
1. Share the Site – This feature let User’s Share the Site\Library\File with people in their Company.Like an Invitation to join the site kind of.User’s can simply Share a Site using the following options-
|“Share your Site” Tile|
2. To Provide Unique Access – Yes Sharing is a new way too Provide unique Permissions for a File or a Folder. “Sharing With” is the new “Manage Permissions”. If you need to Share a File or a Folder you have two Options.
SHARE – Lets you Share the document with users\groups.
Share With – Lets you Share the document and Set Unique Permissions (with broken Inheritance).See the post on how to Set Unique Permissions for Folders and Documents in SharePoint 2013
3. Assign Dedicated People to Give Access – Have you ever wanted a designated Person – Admin or a Manager to have access to Just add Users? Now you can do that Since Sharing the Site can only be done if the User has “Grant Access Permissions”.This simply means –
“Even though “Share this site” is visible to all user, only User’s who has Grant Permission rights can actually Share the Site. All other requests goes to Admin Request Queue.”
Few Important things you need to know –
1. By default SharePoint Site Collection Admins only see the Options for Sharing the Sites.For Other User’s to be able to use this option, you must configure the outgoing SMTP server for a web application.
2. Only User’s with “Grant Permission” rights can Share the Sites themselves.Even though If they do not have any other access on the site.
3. User’s can add a new Request from all Access Denied Pages or they can “Request on behalf” of another user that lets you add a request for Access on a User’s behalf.
You might also be Interested in