Summary : The New “Project Sites” in SharePoint 2013,How to Create “Project Sites” in SharePoint 2013,Difference between Project Site and a Team Site.
SharePoint 2013 has new Project Sites Template that provides Out-of-box webparts and pages that facilitate Project Managers and Teams work efficiently. Lets look at the features of this site template.
How to Create a Project Site – To Create a Project site you can use the Out-of-box Projects template available. Navigate to Site Contents -> new Subsites and select a Projects template.
Once it gets Created you can see that Projects Sites contain Getting Started tiles, a Project Summary\Timeline webpart,a NewsFeed and a Documents webparts.
Project Summary or Timeline WebPart – The Timeline WebPart in project sites is tied to “Tasks” list by default but you can edit the properties of this webpart and select any other task list to show even task list in other site or subsite as well.To add tasks to timeline click on Edit the task list and add items to the the Tasks list.
There is not much difference between a Project Site and a Team Site but here are few minor ones for our readers reference
* Project Sites has “Project Functionality” Site Feature activate by default.
* A Project Summary WebPart is added to the main page by default.
* Project Sites had “Task” list added to it by default.
* Team Sites has “Wiki Page Home Page” Site Feature activate by default. “Project Functionality” Feature is not active by default.
* Project Summary WebPart or any Timeline webpart can be added to the site.
* Team Sites had “Team Task” list added to it by default.
Related Post – Create a Wiki Site in SharePoint 2013