After watching Breaking Bad (a popular American TV show) last night, i was inspired to write a detailed post on various reasons by which you can Break SharePoint – real Bad.
In this pots we will discuss various errors that you can get while navigating you SharePoint site Pages,Master Pages, Lists or Libraries.This applies to all the versions of SharePoint.
1. You get – “The Requested Page was not found or could not be loaded.” while browsing Default.aspx or any other page in your SharePoint site.
This error can also be displayed when trying to Open WebPart Maintenance Page.
Resolution – Open your site in SharePoint Designer and edit the default.aspx page.Look for the corrupted webpart and delete it.
2. You get – “The List does not exist.The page you selected contains a list that does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user.”
Cause (one of the following) –
1. The Site Collection is marked as read-only.
2. The page you are accessing does not have a valid ListViewWebPart.
3. You do not have permissions to the SharePoint list\library you are accessing.
1. Open the Central Admin site and Navigate to Quota and Locks option.Select the appropriate site collection and unlock it.
2. Open the page in SharePoint Designer and verify if the ListView WebPart renders correctly. If not, re-add the ListView WebPart.
3. Add your users with read permissions to the list\library.
3. You get “This page is not using a valid page layout.To correct the problem, edit page settings and select a valid page layout.”, while browsing a SharePoint site page.
Cause – The Page you are browsing has a Invalid layout.The Layout could have been deleted or unpublished form the master page gallery.
Resolution – To switch the Layout, go to Content and Structure and Navigate to your Pages Library.Next Select the page and “Edit Properties”. This will give you an Option to Change the Page Layout of your Page thus fixing the Issue.
4. You get “The Master Page file ‘http://../_catalogs/masterpage/default.aspx’ cannot be loaded” in SharePoint Designer.
Cause – Master Page is not being Loaded when you Open any SharePoint Page in SharePoint Designer.
1. Be sure that the Master Page is Published and Approved in the master Page gallery.
2. Be sure that you have design permissions on the top-level site or access to master page gallery.
3. If the master page is approved and you have all the access, wait for the master page to load or re-open the page in designer.
5. You get – “Web Part Error: One of the properties of the Web Part has an incorrect format.Windows SharePoint Services cannot deserialize the Web Part. Check the format of the properties and try again.” on SharePoint site page.
1. When permissions that Windows SharePoint Services configured on the Windows Temp directory were unintentionally reset, possibly when you upgraded your operating system.
2. Verify if you have set all the WebPart Properties correctly.